Saturday, March 13, 2010

committee

When the first deadline to apply came by, I declined the call to take up the role of committee (or at least running for it). However, as of last Wednesday, things have changed. Thanks Derek for sending me the email (despite how late it was :P) which has since made me reconsider applying for committee (to uwccf, for those uninformed).

My original reasons for not applying for committee was because of three reasons. One being my inability to lead when there are, in my opinion, others who are more capable to lead a fellowship. My second reason was regarding my want to do things outside of fellowship: house ministries, homeless ministries, one-on-one caring to name a few. I figured that being on committee would limit my time to do these things, or perhaps limit my "permission", so to speak, to run these things. Reason three was pride. I felt that when or if I applied to committee I would consider myself higher or "more elite" than those who did not apply. Reason rebuttal in next paragraph :P

So. Reason one was easy. It didn't take long for me to realize (once again) that God does not look for perfect people to accomplish His will. He looks for those who are broken, those who are humble, and those who are willing. You don't need to be a super-intense-hardcore-beastmachine Christian to serve. Serving is something that is a privilege given to us and should not reflect on what we are capable or not; if we are called to a certain role, God will provide us the necessary tools to accomplish said role. Second reason. I was talking with an LCCF committee member and he had the same thoughts when it came to this as well. However, he made me realize that being part of committee does not limit what you can do; it only gives you more freedom to do things. I can be on committee and still hang out with froshies, or cook for sick people, or chill with some guys downtown. Committee just adds a bonus, if you will, to what I can or cannot do. Third reason was pride. And to be honest, I'm not over this one yet, and if you are reading this and you sense pride in me at any time of my life (whether committee or not), please just tell me. I would prefer be bashed by a friend than going around being a douchebag. As for pride, I think it would be best to view committee not as some high-up elite service role, but more of a unique place for unique people, just as everyone is called to serve in some capacity. It may be leading worship, or caring ministries, or perhaps talking to janitors after CCF. Whatever it is, each of us have a place to serve and committee is just another one of them.

So, pray for the best. Will update on the comfort post soontimes, just have to get this out before it goes stale in my brains. :) thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment